Problem with "Too many hops"

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USherbrooke.ca
Fri Sep 22 19:09:55 IST 2006

Johnny Stork a écrit :
> I tried posting this to the mailwatch list but there seems to be far less traffic on that list than here, so maybe someone has a suggestions….it would appear to be a generic sendmail issue.
>
> I am running the quarantine_report.php (from mailwatch) script each day but some of the messages get returned with the following message (with domain names removed).
> How can I check/fix this assuming it’s a mail loop problem? Or, is this simply a sendmail config problem that I can fix by setting maximum mail hops higher? Would sure love to fix this as at least half the message from the quarantine_report.php script bounce like this.
>

> The original message was received at Thu, 21 Sep 2006 05:02:08 -0700 from penguin.somedomain.ca [192.168.1.3]
> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <info at somedomain.ca>
> (reason: 554 5.4.6 Too many hops)
> ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> 554 5.4.6 Too many hops 26 (25 max): from <postmaster at gateway.anotherdomain.ca> via penguin.somedomain.ca, to <info at somedomain.ca>
>

> __________________________
> Johnny Stork

Johnny,

Look at the email's headers. You will see where the mail traveled and
you will most likely find why it looped. If it is being tossed by your
servers you can fix the problem, otherwise, you will have to live with
it or try to contact someone at the remote site where the email had
problems.

Denis

--
   _