Problem with "Too many hops"

Johnny Stork stork at openenterprise.ca
Fri Sep 22 15:49:24 IST 2006

I tried posting this to the mailwatch list but there seems to be far less traffic on that list than here, so maybe someone has a suggestions
.it would appear to be a generic sendmail issue.

I am running the quarantine_report.php (from mailwatch) script each day but some of the messages get returned with the following message (with domain names removed).
How can I check/fix this assuming it’s a mail loop problem? Or, is this simply a sendmail config problem that I can fix by setting maximum mail hops higher? Would sure love to fix this as at least half the message from the quarantine_report.php script bounce like this.

The original message was received at Thu, 21 Sep 2006 05:02:08 -0700 from penguin.somedomain.ca [192.168.1.3]
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <info at somedomain.ca>
(reason: 554 5.4.6 Too many hops)
554 5.4.6 Too many hops 26 (25 max): from <postmaster at gateway.anotherdomain.ca> via penguin.somedomain.ca, to <info at somedomain.ca>