HP DL 140 + Linux Kernel 2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp

Paul Kelly :: Blacknight paul at blacknight.ie
Wed Sep 20 08:38:40 IST 2006

Hi there,

Just a heads up. We recently retired an older e-mail gateway we have and
put centos 4.3 on it. After a yum upgrade a new kernel was installed.
Specifically Linux Kernel 2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp.

MailScanner does not perform well on this hardware platform with that
kernel, at all. Infact the load artificially goes over 30.

Anyways the fix for us was to revert to vmlinuz-2.6.9-11.ELsmp and all
is well since. Back to processing 200k mails a day without issue.

Paul