Problem with exim + mailscanner

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Tue Sep 19 20:30:18 IST 2006

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Javier Martinez wrote:

> I have a problem sending email.
>
> I'm getting some of this:
>
>   Delay reason: Connection timed out:
>     SMTP timeout while connected to fisica.ufpr.br [200.17.209.129] after MAIL
> FROM:<here at fisica.unam.mx> SIZE=4194
>   to at fisica.ufpr.br
>     Delay reason: Connection timed out:
>     SMTP timeout while connected to fisica.ufpr.br [200.17.209.129] after MAIL
> FROM:<here at fisica.unam.mx> SIZE=4194
>
> and my logs:
>
> 1GNurc-00047n-1J == to at fisica.ufpr.br R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer
> (110): Connection timed out: SMTP timeout while connected to
> fisica.ufpr.br [200.17.209.129] after MAIL FROM:<here at fisica.unam.mx>
> SIZE=3008
>
> I googled and I couldn't find a solution to my problem, I'm having this
> problem with a couple of hosts but my connection is working ok.

Your connection may be fine, but theirs isn't.  Do some basic network
tests - try pinging and tracerouting to their server.

Try forcing the mail manually, and keep killing the process if it looks as
if it is going nowhere rather than leave it to time out on its own.

Often there isn't much that you can do in such situations unless you can
get hold of someone at the other end to analyse the network problem
between the servers involved in more detail.  I sometimes find that I can
spool such mail on another server that has different routing and enable
delivery that way.  I have exactly this problem with the very service
provider mentioned in my earlier posting about Zimbabwe being disconnected
- TelOne - to whom delivery is sometimes impossible.

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service