bayes not sure of use

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Wed Sep 13 20:03:57 IST 2006

Philippe Delodder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have actived bayes in the spam.assassin.prefs.conf, but I don't see it
> in the MailScanner-SpamCheck.

You shouldn't need to enable it. SpamAssassin defaults to having bayes enabled.

That said, bayes will not just magically start scoring messages as soon as you
turn it on.

Bayes needs to learn at least 200 spam and 200 nonspam messages before it will
have enough tokens to make reasonable scores, so SpamAssassin will refuse to use
it until then.

By default SA will auto-learn messages, but it can take a long time to learn
enough nonspam messages. However, you can accelerate this by training messages
manually with sa-learn.