BETA: Max SpamAssassin Size for sendmail and Postfix

Alex Broens ms-list at alexb.ch
Mon Sep 11 12:09:18 IST 2006

Julian,

On 9/10/2006 8:58 PM, Julian Field wrote:
> I have added the new logic to the Max SpamAssassin Size configuration
> option, with just about all the extra features everyone wanted in here.
>
> # SpamAssassin is not very fast when scanning huge messages, so messages
> # bigger than this value will be truncated to this length for SpamAssassin
> # testing. The original message will not be affected by this. This value
> # is a good compromise as very few spam messages are bigger than this.
> #
> # Now for the options:
> # 1) <length of data in bytes>
> # 2) <length of data in bytes> truncate
> # 3) <length of data in bytes> continue <extra bytes allowed>

<snipped>

> I have only added the logic to the sendmail and Postfix versions so far,
> as I want to be sure it works before I give it out to everyone.
>
> It's on www.mailscanner.info as usual.
>
> *Please* can you test this out for me. If you think I have gone over the
> top, and just produced a system that no-one can work out how to use,
> then please do tell me and I will remove bits of it again. Personally I
> think it will only be used by 1% of users at most, which leads me to
> think I should remove the whole thing and go back to something much
> simpler again.

As you state above "spamassassin is not very fast...."  which I'd think
makes it a natural to set a max size of the raw msg to be parsed by SA
which avoids rocket science.

the truncate and/or continue with bytes may not always work for spam and
may add to the load by scanning unnecessary large HAM and it seems to me
its a trial & error method till one gets the spam_du_jour caught in a
jungle of sizes, multiparts, etc, etc.

> Your thoughts?

Though & wish: apply the VERY simple spamc method: "max msg size" and
save lots of cpu time and potential FPs avoiding scanning even chuncks
of oversized msgs.
(incidentaly scanning chuncks breaks some plugins, full & rawbody rules,
etc)

Expecting to be tarred and feathered by old MS users.....

Alex