incoming messages stuck in queue due to tnef bug

Ron Broersma ron at
Mon Sep 11 07:44:08 IST 2006

I've had some problems with messages that get stuck in, 
resulting in whole batches that never get processed due to processes 
that repeatedly die on the same batch.

Here's where it fails...

read-open /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming/17683/k8ACNk7x003153/i: No 
such file or directory at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/MIME/ 
line 435.

The offending message had 2 MIME parts, one of which was a winmail.dat.  
With some more debugging it appeared that processing of that particular 
winmail.dat had a number of problems, causing MailScanner to get very 
confused about the filenames and eventually die.

Since this appeared to be a TNEF problem, I switched from the external 
(/usr/bin/tnef) to internal decoder.  Things worked much better.  I then 
checked sourceforge and found a newer version (1.4.3) than that 
distributed with MailScanner (1.4.1).  I installed that and switched 
back to external TNEF, and all is well.  No more stuck queues.

I recommend that the new TNEF v1.4.3 be included in future MailScanner 


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: smime.p7s
Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
Size: 3973 bytes
Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
Url :

More information about the MailScanner mailing list