Spamcop.net RBL blocking emails by mistake?

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Sat Sep 9 04:08:44 IST 2006

Scott Silva wrote:
> DAve spake the following on 9/8/2006 8:39 AM:
>> John Rudd wrote:

>>> It would be a fair process if their criteria were reasonable and
>>> accurate.
>>>
>>> Since their criteria are neither, the process is anything but fair.
>>>
>> I don't know if their criteria is fair or not, they never tell me their
>> criteria. I know that if a spamcop subscriber turns in a message as spam
>> from my server, and they list me, and the message body looks something
>> like,
>>
>> "Hi grandson,
>>
>> I hope I got your email address right, your handwriting is hard to read
>> with my cataracts. Grandpa passed this morning, your Mom will call you
>> when you get out of class. I hate to make you miss finals so please
>> don't come to the funeral. Grandpa would understand.
>>
>> Love Grandma"
>>
>> Then there is a problem with their criteria for certain.
>>
>> I still do not believe that a common users opinion should be the sole
>> determination of what is SPAM and what is not. I get several hundred AOL
>> SPAM reports I must manually unsubscribe from maillists each month
>> because they sign up to gain access to a website and then don't want the
>> mail. SPAM has become "mail I don't want".
>>
>> DAve
>>

> Any body that would report that message is using some sort of automated
> system, and I don't think any automation should be used, with the exception of
> spamtraps. Spamtraps are different because they aren't a legitimate address,
> so anything they get should be spam.

But they did, that message exactly as typed. Clearly a case of 'I don't
recognize the sender address so it must be spam'. I get plenty of those
from AOL where the user has to hit the spam button, and does so without
regard. I suspect there are Monkeys run amok inside AOL just logging
into accounts and clearing the inbox with the spam button.

DAve

Veterans?