Marking list as 'all read'

Alex Neuman van der Hans alex at nkpanama.com
Fri Sep 8 21:22:30 IST 2006

There's probably something wrong with your system, since my stock IBM AT
runs at 6Mhz. The frontside bus and backside are locked to that speed,
but I've heard there's a newer one (don't know if it's come out yet)
that fully utilizes the AT bus's 8Mhz (theoretical) limit. The one
without a backside bus (ISA hooked up directly to the CPU) is the
somewhat slower XT model, which did run at 4.77Mhz.

You could have the "turbo" button turned off, which might make programs
report "3.77Mhz" in the speed department, but everybody knows that it's
just the regular 6 (or 8)Mhz clock being slowed artificially by
inserting wait states between ticks on the 81555 (IIRC) responsible for
timing in the system.

Getting good NE-2000 network cards might help in order to raise your
message throughput level to maybe 2 or 3 a month - just watch out for
those pesky IRQ conflicts, specially if you ever get a hold of a serial
card to hook up that mouse (since the serial card, if it uses COM2, will
use IRQ3, which is the default). If you *do* get the mouse working, let
me know where to find the drivers for CentOS 4.4 to fully utilize the
amazing graphics capabilities of my high-resolution Hercules monochrome
monitor. I'm still having problems getting 132-column mode to work.

Are you doing anything regarding the Y2k problem? I think these machines
might have an issue with that, but I don't really remember; probably a
BIOS upgrade (which requires a special tool and a PROM burner) might do
the trick.

The 800 number I have stuck on a yellow post it next to the amber
monitor (It's a lot easier on the eyes than the green one I used to
have) is being answered by a magazine subscription service; maybe you've
got the new number?