Anyone using zen.spamhaus.org?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 18:43:54 IST 2006

On 07/09/06, Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama.com> wrote:
> Glenn Steen wrote:
> > Why do you assume the spammers use an MTA that can handle a temp fail?
> > The point of greylisting isn't "wait a bit", it is "retry if you're
> > real":-).
> > So Eds figures add up just fine.
>
> If I may.... Some *actually do*. They use open relays (*truly* open or
> "open to people on my network without AUTH" open, but that's a subject
> of another thread by Muhammad Nauman), faked return addresses on
> M-Sexchange servers that will bounce back to the intended victim, etc. -
> so the server's they're *abusing* *are* legit.
>
> That's where things like rbl's, SA (with razor/pyzor/dcc/SARE), and
> other tools of the trade come in.

I know Alex;-). And for those, neither RFC strictness (well, to a
certain amount perhaps)  nor "greet pausing" nor greylisting will have
any effect whatsoever.
We'll be seeing more of this as the spamtools evolve, no doubt.
It's a constant battle, which is good... It'll keep us in work for the
forseeable future;).

--
-- Glenn