children are killing my server

mailscanner at berger.nl mailscanner at berger.nl
Thu Sep 7 12:05:23 IST 2006

DAve wrote ..
> mailscanner at berger.nl wrote:
> > OK,
> >
> > As some of you guys adviced me earlier, I installed MailWatch on my
> > server (freebsd 6.1). Well, that is a nice package, thanks for that!!
> >  I have only a small problem. I installed it earlier today and it
> > seemed to work fine. I had some problems with the change between
> > linux and Freebsd but I managed to make it work. After it worked
> > great for about 3 hours the messages stopped appearing and after a
> > few more time the server  got loaded more and more. I checked and I
> > saw that MailScanner spawned 70 children (MailScanner.conf says
> > max=5). They all spawned at different times in "ps". There was also
> > no "MailWatch SQL" running anymore, even after I killed all child
> > processes and restarted" I finally removed MailWatc.pm and
> > SQLBlackWhiteList.pm from the
> > /usr/local/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions/ dir and after
> > that MailScanner worked fine again.
> >
> > Does anybody have any idea what is causing this? I know it's a bit
> > off-topic, but I think, maybe one of you guys is using MailWatch with
> > Freebsd too.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Roger
> >

> MailScanner 4.54.6
> FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x
>
> I experienced the same result, though the cause may be different. I have
> a posting on the MailWatch list about it between me and Steve. What I
> saw was that whenever I restarted MySQL (my mailwatch install is on a
> remote server from my MailScanner installs) MailWatch.pm would hang when
> MySQL went away. Once that happened it stopped working. Restarting
> MailScanner left all the children using that MailWatch process behind.
> The more you restarted the worse it got.
>
> Look for the thread in this list titled "Always Looked Up Last". Julian
> fixed that problem, MailScanner will pass over a function that fails
> now. Not sure what version he put the fix into.
>
> Look for the thread in the MailWatch list titled "MailWatch SQL Logging"
> Still no answer on this one, I just have to make sure I stop MailScanner
> before I restart my SQL server and all is well. Otherwise MailWatch.pm
> fails when it can't get port 11553 on startup.
>
> Possibly those will help you.
>
> DAve

Dave,

I couldn't find anything on the net so I started a fresh install and tested every change I made. I found out that if I change
my($hostname) = hostname;
my($hostname) = server1.mydomain.net;
which is the hostname of the server, the problem started.
After I changed this back the problem was gone and it starts running again.

Just to let you know.

Greetings,

Roger