Question

Martin Hepworth martinh at solidstatelogic.com
Tue Sep 5 17:31:08 IST 2006

Rob Poe wrote:
> Is there a way to start MailScanner so that it processes any messages in it's queue, but does not accept new incoming messages?
>
> I have a client with an older linux box running MailScanner and it's just being crushed ... with spam....
>
> It's a Celeron 2.0 ghz / 512mb ram / dual IDE disk
>
>  10:55:02  up 19:05,  1 user,  load average: 6.23, 4.56, 4.04
>
> Running access lists in Sendmail (to block out other countries) and running the greet_pause feature (which is helping a lot)
>
> Seeing things like this:  Sep  5 10:56:12 mail MailScanner[25809]: Batch processed in 61.70 seconds
>
> I've tried 5, 3 and now 2 MS children.

memory more memeory   1GB per CPU is recommended

just stop the inbound sendmail...

try milter-ahead to check valid email addresses and reject non-valid
ones on the inbound MTA. - I drop over 66% of my trafffic that way.

there's a tuning link on the wiki also...

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

the system manager.