Sendmail RPM Update - Will This Break MailScanner

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Fri Sep 1 20:15:09 IST 2006

Daniel Straka wrote:
> I'm running MailScanner on Suse Linux Enterprise Server 10 and have
> received a sendmail security update to install via rpm. Does anyone
> know if this will break the MailScanner / Sendmail symbiosis or even
> the entire server? I've never had much luck in the past with these
> %#@& patches. Thanks...Dan

Installed on 9.3 and 10 this morning.  One thing that *always* trips me
up is when they patch sendmail they always turn it back on at boot time.
You'd think I'd learn but I always space that out.  I usually get a wake
up call when spam turns up in my inbox that wasn't scanned.

Just stop MailScanner, apply the patch, then do:
  chkconfig sendmail off
so sendmail doesn't start automatically.  Next check to make sure it
isn't running ('ps aux | grep sendmail' is what I use).  If it is
running, kill the process(es).  Then restart MailScanner.

S'later...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500