Sendmail privacy flags in MailScanner init script

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Fri Sep 1 14:06:48 IST 2006

Hi Ugo,

Ugo Bellavance wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     In the MailScanner init script, privacy options are stated for
> sendmail:
>
> -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn
>
> Why is that?  Shouldn't these settings be defined in sendmail.mc (cf)?

I suspect this is a safety net -- you really really don't want the
incoming Sendmail process to allow ETRN for any hosts, because ETRN
would result in message being delivered to the host directly from
mqueue.in, bypassing MailScanner completely.

It's in the initscript for MailScanner so you don't have to remember to
put it in the privacy options and rebuild the .cf file when you install
MailScanner.

> Does that override the settings in the config file?

Yes -- but only for the incoming Sendmail process, the outgoing process
will use whatever is configured in the .cf file.

Cheers,
Steve.