MS 4.55.9 not detecting Mail::ClamAV

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Oct 28 16:44:05 IST 2006

René Berber wrote:
> Res wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, René Berber wrote:
>>

>>> I think Martin is wrong and the MS documentation does recommend using
>>> the perl
>>> module for performance reasons.
>>>
>> The perl module cant handle constantly large batches, it used to bail
>> all the time, although clamscan itself handled it with high loading,
>> installed f-prot and rarely a splirt on the load above spamassassin.
>>
> [snip]
>
> Interesting info.  Perhaps it is time to _change_ the clamav wrapper and start
> using clamdscan, why? two reasons:

But that's the point of using clamavmodule, you don't rely on clamdscan.
It just talks straight to the libraries and doesn't depend on squirting
the message down a socket. That's the whole point of clamavmodule, you
don't have to depend on a daemon. What happens when the daemon dies for
some unknown reason? You lose your mail transport. Clamavmodule doesn't
suffer this problem. That's partially why I wrote it.

> 1. To handle high loads, like Res' experience shows.  Some actual experience
> with clamdscan would be useful; it is designed for situations like the ones
> where MS works (perhaps this is the 3rd reason).
>
> 2. To use when there are no alternatives, f-prot is good for Linux servers but
> what is available for Solaris/BSD/OS-X/etc. ?

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP

Contact me at Jules at Jules.FM