RBL List selection

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Oct 26 22:24:38 IST 2006

Gordon Colyn spake the following on 10/26/2006 2:02 PM:
> ITNT Banner Campaignhi all,
>
> I am finding that my incoming queue is groing to approx 1500 to 2000
> messages during high message loads and on investigation it seems that a
> large delay is in the process of checking against the RBL's.  Can anyone
> suggest the best minimum config to get the best result?  Currently I am only
> pushing approx 30,000 messages a day through the server...
>
> I am using;
>
> Spam List = spamcop.net ORDB-RBL spamhaus.org spamhaus-XBL SBL+XBL NJABL
> SORBS-SMTP CBL RSL DSBL SORBS-DUL
>
> and
>
> Spam Domain List = SORBS-BADCONF SORBS-NOMAIL
>
> Thanks
since you are using sbl+xbl, you can drop spamhaus-xbl, spamhaus.org,  and CBL
as they are all done in the sbl+xbl lookup. That drops 3 extra lookups.
You could look in your logs and see if any of the lookups have a very low
hitrate, or are redundant with the sbl-xbl list, which hits a lot of stuff.
You could try spamassassin, as it will do multiple lookups at once, and
Mailscanners spamassassin cache can help lighten the load.
Have you done all the optimizing ideas in the wiki?
Are you running a caching nameserver on the box?

Can you put any of these in the MTA? That will drop mail before your machine
even has to touch it.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and