OT : Disaster recovery?

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Thu Oct 26 16:47:47 IST 2006

One thing we're going to be looking at RSN* is virtualization.  Be nifty
to set up MailScanner, etc. as a virtual machine.  Then if you box goes
down, you just start up another load the virtual snapshot and away you
go.  The 'snapshot' could live on a completely different server and be
backed up just like a regular file then retrieved instantly as needed.

Of course, you'd have to save it afresh every now and then when you
updated MS, clamav, sendmail, etc.  But that's gotta be a lot easier
than building a new box from scratch!

Bear in mind that I haven't yet done this yet, so maybe someone that has
can chime in if there's some significant gotchas...

...Kevin
*Real Soon Now
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500