Postfix Users (and Outlook users)

Drew Marshall drew at technologytiger.net
Thu Oct 26 10:19:53 IST 2006

On Wed, October 25, 2006 22:58, Peter Russell wrote:
> Postfix:
> I was hoping that since there is so many Postfix users using MS we could
> get an updated discussion on what everyone is doing at the MTA level
> with regards to
> a) stopping spam at the MTA

Block using RBLs (Spamhaus & open relays list. I also use the virus RBL,
can't remember it's address as I'm not near a config file). I also check
and reject non RFC compliant mail, unknown recipients. I also do sender
verification on senders claiming to be from Hotmail, MSN and any other
frequently forged domains and from any client with out a valid PTR record
or one that has DSL or a string of digits (eg
123-456-78-90.DSL.example.com).

> b) 3rd party anti spam defences - greylisting?

I gave greylisting a go but gave it up. I really want to either take the
mail or 55x reject it as quickly as possible but that's my opinion, other
I know have a very different take. I veiw greylisting like tar pitting and
don't like either (Until I get so much Spam through the current protection
and resort to it because it _makes a difference_).

> c) specific configs - like the example in the wiki - a dual postfix
> instance that splits multi recipients messages
> d) tip and tricks - what have you added to your config that you think
> could benefit others.

Check the rate limiting and hard and soft error levels. Some Postfix
versions (Depending on how it's been installed) have these set already or
at default levels. They offer great protection against directory attack
and DOS.

I hope this is something like you were intending.

Drew