OT : Disaster recovery?

Colocation Colocation telehouse at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 26 00:05:18 IST 2006

So I've just spent the past 3 weeks setting up and tweaking my Mailscanner
installation. I've done every possible tweak and gone through everything
with a magnifying glass and it all looks great.

So now my thoughts turn to backups. How best should i protect my investment?
I cannot yet justify a second box for redundancy so if all goes wrong i will
need to be able to quickly get my mail server back online.

I'm considering taking one of my raid mirrors out and rebuilding the array
online. That way i will have a spare incase it all goes wrong.... however
there are alot of drawbacks to this.

My server is equipped with lights out management so really what i want to do
is a "bare metal" type backup, that way if anything does go wrong and i
happen to be holiday i will still be able to fix it.

Dream Scenario : uh oh for x reason my server has totally died and all data
is lost. I ssh in, boot off my already connected USB key and reinstall the
operating system. (or some kind of restore software?) I then pull my backup
from my ISP's san storage and begin the restore. Two hours later my server
is back online and serving mail as it should be!

Any thoughts? Or am i living in cuckoo land?