Inbox fles and possible bug

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Oct 25 17:34:14 IST 2006

Alex Neuman spake the following on 10/24/2006 7:31 PM:
> Scott Silva escribió:
>>   You should also make sure that dovecot and mailscanner are using
>> compatible
>> locking (flock VS fcntl). I think you would use flock wit sendmail
>> 8.12 or
>> older, and fcntl with 8.13 on.
>>
> Just to make sure we're on the same page, would you know what to check in:
>
> MailScanner.conf
> sendmail itself
> dovecot.conf
>
> in order to check everyone's using the same locking mechanism?
MailScanner.conf is usually set to posix with sendmail 8.13, and flock on 8.12
and lower.
# How to lock spool files.
# Don't set this unless you *know* you need to.
# For sendmail, it defaults to "posix".
# For sendmail 8.12 and older, you will probably need to change it to flock,
# particularly on Linux systems.
# For Exim, it defaults to "posix".
# No other type is implemented.
Lock Type = posix

 fcntl is called by a posix lock in linux so they are functionally equivalent.
 You would check dovecot.conf for the locking it has set.

# Which locking methods to use for locking mbox. There's three available:
#  dotlock: Create <mailbox>.lock file. This is the oldest and most NFS-safe
#           solution. If you want to use /var/mail/ like directory, the users
#           will need write access to that directory.
#  fcntl  : Use this if possible. Works with NFS too if lockd is used.
#  flock  : May not exist in all systems. Doesn't work with NFS.
#
# You can use both fcntl and flock too; if you do the order they're declared
# with is important to avoid deadlocks if other MTAs/MUAs are using both fcntl
# and flock. Some operating systems don't allow using both of them
# simultaneously, eg. BSDs. If dotlock is used, it's always created first.
mbox_locks = fcntl

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and