Inbox fles and possible bug

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Oct 24 20:36:28 IST 2006

Miguel Koren OBrien de Lacy spake the following on 10/24/2006 12:03 PM:
> Gentlemen;
>
> On one server I have Fedora Core 4 running with all the yum updates, Mail Scanner
> 4.50.10-3 and Clam 0.88.4. This server has about 100 email accounts. Last month and
> again today the same person complained about not being able to download emails using
> Outlook configured to access pop accounts, but only on one of his accounts (the same
> one both times). I checked a telnet to port 110 and found that dovecot reports that
> the file can not be accessed. This file in /var/spool/mail was there so I checked to
> permissions and size and all was well. I opened it up and noticed that it had a
> blank line at the top of the file. So on a hunch I made a copy and removed the blank
> line. After that everything worked again. This was the only mailbox file with a
> blank line at the top out of a random sampling of mailbox files I looked at. This is
> the first malbox "corruption" I have seen since I started using Linux in 1997, so
> having 2 cases with the same account in a short period seems like something more
> than coincidence.
>
> My conclusion is that dovecot is particularly intolerant of the file format but also
> that something is putting in the blank line. The blank line does not have space
> charaters, just a line break. My prime suspect at the moment for doing this is
> MailScanner because it works on the emails before final delivery. I think that this
> user gets some type of email content that causes Mail Scanner to insert the spurious
> character at the start of the header and that if this happens with the first email
> received after the mailbox is emptied, the problem happens.
>
> So the questions are if anybody has seens a similar problem and if my theory about a
> subtle "bug" in MailScanner make sense?

Mailscanner is not involved in this by the time the mail hits /var/spool/mail.
It is either your local delivery agent (maybe procmail), or a known issue with
Dovecot and Outlook. See

http://wiki.dovecot.org/Clients#head-603ef86194a337dc45305f89f8a1378dfcaa8146

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...