OT: Spamhaus petition rejected - followup from previous discussion

Richard Frovarp Richard.Frovarp at sendit.nodak.edu
Wed Oct 25 15:50:56 IST 2006

Res wrote:
>  Richard Frovarp wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> Because Spamhaus said so! They told the state court they have no
>>> jurisdiction. They asked for the case to be moved to the federal
>>> court. Then they decided that the federal court didn't have
>>> jurisdiction, and didn't show up. If you don't show up for your case,
>>> you lose. I think that is pretty standard around the world. Read this:
>

> Why should they turn up if they have no jurisdiction?
> the US courts do not get to tell an organisation of any other country
> what they can and cant do.. period.

By asking for the case to be removed from state court and moved to
federal court, they in effect said the federal courts have jurisdiction.
You then need to show up. They should have argued from the beginning
that no US court has jurisdiction. This may claim may have gone up the
chain of courts a distance. However, I do have faith in the system that
the end result would have been a precedent in the right direction. I am
not aware of any case in the US that has tested this territory.

Your second statement is the problem. They do get to tell an
organization what they can and can't do if they have a US presence. The
question is what constitutes a presence in the current age where brick
and motar buildings aren't necessary. The fact that the service is free,
really does not matter in the US. The only thing a paid service does is
provide revenue to a company making it more appealing as a target. (Now
that YouTube has Google's finances, it is a more appealing target to
sue, even though it is a "free" site). Yes, in the Australian case the
WSJ was imported in, but are not Spamhaus packets imported into the US?
The WSJ was a push and Spamhaus is a pull, I will concede there is a
difference there.

However, look at the case against Lik-Sang.com
(http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3900), which is a "pull"
scenario. Sony did it right and filed a suit in Hong Kong, in addition
to the out of jurisdiction UK courts. However, it was the UK court that
said it is illegal for Lik-Sang.com to sell PSPs to UK customers.
Lik-Sang.com doesn't have a presence anywhere but in HK. So here is an
example of UK courts telling an organization of any other country what
they can and can't do. Does it make the Spamhaus case right? No. The
point is that it does happen in other countries and there is a real
problem with jurisdictional issues today.

I do think the case is pure baloney. However, Spamhaus has set a
precedent in the wrong direction. I hope that they do appeal and get a
quick judgment that this case belongs in UK courts. This will make it
easier for other groups to defend themselves in the future, at least in
US courts. The right call was made by the judge saying that getting
Tucows or ICANN to drop their domain is not something the courts should
do. This does appear to be a decent judge, but there is only so much a
judge can decide to do own their own.