OT: MS Exchange Alternatives

Ed Bruce edwardbruce at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 20 15:41:45 IST 2006

Peter Peters wrote:
> hakon at symfoni.no wrote on 18-10-2006 14:16:
>
> > There is always Lotus Domino.  Not free, but very nice :-)
>
> We did an investigation into Exchange, Lotus and Oracle Collaboration
> Suite. These three were chosen because we had the experience with all
> three systems in one way or another.
>
> OCS came out best. Lotus was second and Exchange came last. We had some
> errors in the investigation corrected (by Microsoft) and Exchange came
> in second.
>
> Ofcourse management decided to go for Exchange.

OCS sounds good, but it was my nightmare for two years. We finally gave
up trying to continuely work around all of its failings. The last straw
was when we finally started to implement BlackBerry support and Oracle
said we would have to install an Exchange Server??? Our CIO told Oracle
to go do something anatomically impossible. We decided since we had to
install Exchange to get BB support why not just switch over completely.
We had been using MS for about a year, which made switching over to
Exchange a breeze. We took maybe 2 weeks to prepare and then switched
over the weekend and having been running Exchange for just over a year now.