OT: How do you block servers sending oversize messages?

Res res at ausics.net
Fri Oct 20 00:05:14 IST 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Jim Holland wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Res wrote:
>
>>> something out of the country?
>>
>> What is the point of that? you lose immediate control and if things die,
>> you have to wait/rely on unknown 3rd parties, some of the stories I've
>> heard are typically "it takes hours and hours to get them to get to it"
>> and that without nameing them, includes some pretty big well known
>> hosting companies in the U.S who try sucker people from all over the
>> world to use them, which is why we never will place hardware offshore.
>
> I agree.  We will definitely do it locally, and at a place where we can
> get access to E1 lines for our members to dial in to (instead of our
> current creaky old bank of 6 US Robotics modems).  24/7 backup and

Might be a good idea if finances permit.

> physical access is essential, and we also plan to move to a real server
> for the first time instead of the desktop clones we have always used.
> All this has to be financed from our current subs of 10 cents US
> equivalent per user per month - time for a modest increase I would say!

10c? I'll say it's time for an increase :)
It's fine if its just running cost recovery, but that does become a
problem if something dies compeltely thats worth a few K.

--
Cheers
Res

"Just a world that we all must share, it's not enough just to stand and
stare, is it only a dream that there'll be no more turning away" - Floyd