OT: How do you block servers sending oversize messages?

Jim Holland mailscanner at mango.zw
Thu Oct 19 22:57:27 IST 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Res wrote:

> > something out of the country?
>
> What is the point of that? you lose immediate control and if things die,
> you have to wait/rely on unknown 3rd parties, some of the stories I've
> heard are typically "it takes hours and hours to get them to get to it"
> and that without nameing them, includes some pretty big well known
> hosting companies in the U.S who try sucker people from all over the
> world to use them, which is why we never will place hardware offshore.

I agree.  We will definitely do it locally, and at a place where we can
get access to E1 lines for our members to dial in to (instead of our
current creaky old bank of 6 US Robotics modems).  24/7 backup and
physical access is essential, and we also plan to move to a real server
for the first time instead of the desktop clones we have always used.
All this has to be financed from our current subs of 10 cents US
equivalent per user per month - time for a modest increase I would say!

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service