Block outgoing mail w/ bad addressing

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Thu Oct 19 22:07:48 IST 2006

Ed Wallig wrote:
> Yup, this is what is on my mind - typo-squatter (cool term by the way)

Unfortunately I can't take credit for it.. it's a general industry term

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typosquatting

It's actually been around for quite a while too:

http://www.wordspy.com/words/typosquatter.asp

> creates a "catch-all" or actual account based on what he's seeing in the
> SMTP logs and starts collecting email that is not supposed to be going
> to him - could be trouble.

I agree. Unlike Jethro, who would rather handle this after the fact by firing
the resposible party, I'm more interested in prevention, and then lart the hell
out of any user that winds up triggering it.

After all, if some idiot leaks enough information, that could completely ruin
your company. (ie: the competitor gains enough information, like a couple key
trade secrets, to completely drive your company out of the market.) Firing the
idiot is little consolation when he's cost everyone else in the company their
jobs too.

 And of course what's left of your company can sue the idiot for leaking the
information, but they likely don't have enough assets to cover the damages.

Some mistakes are big enough you just can't make up for it by firing the person
responsible. Those things you try hard to prevent. Even if it is a kludge.