Block outgoing mail w/ bad addressing

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Thu Oct 19 00:13:16 IST 2006

Jethro R Binks wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Ken A wrote:
>
>>> *	Check to see if the message has been addressed with an improper
>>> email domain (username at maildomain .com instead of maildomain.net, etc)
>> Yeah, our users have fatter fingers than your users! You can do this in
>> sendmail access map. Postfix has something similar, I'm sure..
>
> Why on earth are you trying to implement a technical solution to this
> problem?
>
>> To:sbcgobal.com        ERROR:5.1.1:550 Please check spelling on recipient
>> domain - should be sbcglobal.net
>
> What if you really need to mail sbcgobal.com or maildomain.com some day?

Well, I'd agree there, but in this case sbcgobal is an illegal typo-squatter
domain that's parked with searchportal.

I say screw typo-squatters in every way possible.

That said, going back to the original context of the thread, the OP was looking
to handle this for typos of his own domain. I can definitely see reasons to do
it for your own domain.

I'd certainly do this if someone was typo-squatting MY domain.

What would you do as a business in this case?

What if the typo-squatter was actually a competitor? Sure you'd take the domain
back with a trademark infringement case, but that takes time.

What if in the meantime they decided to set up a MX that would just accept all
the mail sent there from your network and funnel it into a report to their
director of marketing?

Would you take the risk of one of your users fat-fingering your domain name in
an internal email and giving a competitor potentially sensitive company
information? (accounting/sales/project status reports)