Block outgoing mail w/ bad addressing

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 23:58:47 IST 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Ken A wrote:

> > *	Check to see if the message has been addressed with an improper
> > email domain (username at maildomain .com instead of maildomain.net, etc)
>
> Yeah, our users have fatter fingers than your users! You can do this in
> sendmail access map. Postfix has something similar, I'm sure..

Why on earth are you trying to implement a technical solution to this
problem?

> To:sbcgobal.com        ERROR:5.1.1:550 Please check spelling on recipient
> domain - should be sbcglobal.net

What if you really need to mail sbcgobal.com or maildomain.com some day?
Either you can't, or you take this rule away again, in which case your
problem comes back.

This is a user education issue, not a "crow-bar in any inappropriate fix
to compensate for naiive or careless users".

At least you could give them an address book, then they don't need to
(mis)type anything.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks
Computing Officer, IT Services