whitelist a file from the content scanner

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 18:10:53 IST 2006

Martin Hepworth wrote:
> Simon Annetts wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I need to be able to stop mailscanner from virus checking and
>> filetype detecting a particular filename so that our support team can
>> send updates via email. The file will always be called (for example
>> only:) update.zip and may contain .exe and other type files that are
>> normally banned.
>>
>> At the moment mailscanner always rejects the file and quarantines it
>> because it is in the banned filetypes list. If I exempt .zip files or
>> specifically update.zip then mailscanner proceeds to unpack the file
>> and quarantine any files inside which also are banned. This is all
>> good stuff as far as mailscanner doing its job, but I want this file
>> to pass through mailscanner completely untouched/unchecked. I want to
>> exempt this file name from all checks,  - spam virus content and
>> filetype.
>>

>> Is this possible???
>> Best Regards
>> Simon
>>

> Simon
>
> I'd do this by originating ip-address if I where you....put a ruleset
> on the checks, so if its from you're lan you don't run the extra
> filename checks etc...
To just allow this one filename, add a new filename.rules.conf file (as
per the instructions in the wiki) with 1 rule at the top that says
allow   ^my\.file\.name$    -   -
Note those 4 fields are separated with *tab* characters and not spaces.
This is the 1 place (filename.rules.conf and filetype.rules.conf) where
MailScanner is fussy about the types of spaces you use as a separator.
Otherwise, how would you match against a filename pattern that contained
a space?
You will also have to make sure it passes the file-type checks as well,
with a similar trick.

You've got a little bit of reading to do, this is about as complex as it
can get, sorry.

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP