whitelist a file from the content scanner

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 16:32:02 IST 2006

On 18/10/06, Simon Annetts <simon at ateb.co.uk> wrote:

> Martin Hepworth wrote:
> > Simon Annetts wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I need to be able to stop mailscanner from virus checking and filetype
> >> detecting a particular filename so that our support team can send
> >> updates via email. The file will always be called (for example only:)
> >> update.zip and may contain .exe and other type files that are normally
> >> banned.
> >>
> >> At the moment mailscanner always rejects the file and quarantines it
> >> because it is in the banned filetypes list. If I exempt .zip files or
> >> specifically update.zip then mailscanner proceeds to unpack the file
> >> and quarantine any files inside which also are banned. This is all
> >> good stuff as far as mailscanner doing its job, but I want this file
> >> to pass through mailscanner completely untouched/unchecked. I want to
> >> exempt this file name from all checks,  - spam virus content and
> >> filetype.
> >>

> >> Is this possible???
> >> Best Regards
> >> Simon
> >>

> > Simon
> >
> > I'd do this by originating ip-address if I where you....put a ruleset on
> > the checks, so if its from you're lan you don't run the extra filename
> > checks etc...
> >

> Thanks, but I still want all other checking to be done from the host(s)
> that are sending this particular file (actually its another mailserver).
> I just want to exclude that one and only filename (and tie it down to ip
> address too would be even nicer but by IP on its own isn't enough).
> There must be a way surely?
>
> Simon
Well, you could overload the filename settings for that IP address so
that you allow the name, and then set archive depth depending on IP (0
will disable the unpacking of zips). Combining them so that you have a
check on both name and IP would likely need be a custom function (look
in CustoimFunction... There are examples you could likely build on).
You should be able to use that to return different values depending on
filename/IP, and use that on the Archive Depth setting. I might be
wrong though, I haven't tested this:-).

--
-- Glenn