OT: ImageInfo or some other tool to detect Animated Gifs.

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Tue Oct 17 17:14:00 IST 2006

Duncan, Brian M. wrote:
> I know it's off topic, with all the Fuzzy OCR talk and ImageInfo talk I
> figured someone might know.
>
> Any way to specifically detect an animated GIF?  Now we are getting
> (very few but I am sure it will increase) these animated GIF pump and
> dump Spams that Fuzzy OCR cannot process succesfully.  I will paste one
> in here, I hope this message is not caught as Spam.  I am not sure if
> it's the OCR engine or the way the animate GIF is designed.
>
> As you see it slowly scrolls through the text included in the image,
> then if you wait long enough (like 10 minutes) the final frames of this
> animated GIF are only the background with NO text.
>
> Based on what Fuzzy OCR is telling me the only text it sees is some /
> and \.  (Which happen to be what is left on the final frames of this
> GIF)

Fuzzyocr just considers the largest frames.. which as you say, are
blank... :-\

> If I could just add a score for ANY included animated gif I highly doubt
> I would have any false positives.

Frankly, I'd love to block that incredimail animated junk, but our users
would disagree. giftext from the libungif package can tell you how many
frames are in an animated gif. FuzzyOCR makes use of it, but I don't
think there is any scoring based on the number of frames or size of
frames. Perhaps there should be.

To block these, save a few of them, then 'cat 1 2 3 4 | sort' and look
for identical lines. Make a FULL rule to match the common part.

full    LOCAL_MYRULE	/BASE64_ENCODED_TEXT_HERE/
describe LOCAL_MYRULE	anim image and junk bayes
score   LOCAL_MYRULE	1.0

I've found that this works well, but test, test, test and _watch out for
FPs_

ymmv.

Ken A,
Pacific.Net