SA 3.1.7 and lint

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Mon Oct 16 16:55:27 IST 2006

Peter Bates wrote:
> Hello all...
>
> I've updated my MS to 4.56, and also SA to 3.1.7.
>
> I've read the Release Notes/etc. for SA, which makes
> mention of disabling network tests for the --lint command.
>
> I'm just curious now as to the best way to check whether
> DCC/Razor/Pyzor are working if --lint disables them.
>
> I can do spamassassin -D -t < test-message
> but it seems an odd method just to check for this sort of thing.

That's the best way.

Quite frankly, the fact that network tests were enabled in --lint was a bit of a
farce anyway. The test message used by lint doesn't even have any Received:
headers, so all the DNSRBL tests were not being exercised anyway.

While --lint would have checked razor/dcc/pyzor, it would not really check any
other network tests in any useful way.

--lint is really intended to check your config-file syntax, and nothing else.
It's not intended to provide a comprehensive test of functionality.

Besides, this way you can also add the surbl.org test URL to your message and
test your URIBL functionality at the same time.

http://www.surbl.org/faq.html#testpoints

Note: because SA strips off everything but the domain and TLD before calling the
URIBLs, only the surbl-org-permanent-test-point(DOT)com one will work.
test.sc.surbl.org won't work because SA will strip it down to surbl.org first.