spam getting through without even being checked

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Oct 13 19:15:22 IST 2006

Andy Norris spake the following on 10/13/2006 9:26 AM:

> Yes, Chris, this is the problem I'm having with Ensim / MailScanner
> right now. Are you getting tons of sendmail processes running?
>
> If I stop sendmail, like I'm supposed to for MailScanner, MailScanner
> does, indeed, start the instances of sendmail that it needs for pushing
> the mail to the mailboxes. However, I cannot sent mail from my email
> client through the server, as there's no connection (nothing listening
> on port 25). So I have to be running sendmail, and MailScanner is only
> scanning the mail it gets around to before other sendmail processes
> deliver it without scanning.
>
> Also, when shutting down sendmail, the
> /home/virtual/FILESYSTEMTEMPLATE/services/sendmail/mqueue directory gets
> backed up with a lot of mail... then when starting sendmail again --
> because I have to! -- it takes a lot of time to get that mail out the
> door. In fact, there is mail in that directory from a couple days ago,
> and I need to figure out how to get sendmail to deal with all that. Is
> that directory filling up for you, as well?
>
> Seems that just recently things have started going more haywire. Don't
> know if it's just that we're being pounded by spammers or what.
>
> It would be great if we could share anything we might find to get to
> where we need to be!
>
> Thanks,
> Andy Norris
> andy at tireswing.net
>

> At 10:37 am 2006-10-13, you wrote:
>

>> Chris Yuzik wrote:

>>> Hi Ken,
>>> I installed from the RPM, but this server is a bit unusual because
>>> it's running the Ensim control panel, so not sure if everything is
>>> "by the book".
>>> I tried shutting down sendmail, then restarting MailScanner, but
>>> nothing started listening on port 25 until I started up sendmail
>>> again. When MailScanner starts, even if sendmail is stopped it says
>>> nothing about sendmail, so something must be wrong. Not sure what to
>>> try or what to investigate next.
>>> In my MailScanner.conf file, the following might give a hint:
>>> MTA = sendmail
>>> Sendmail = /usr/sbin/sendmail
>>> Sendmail2 = /usr/sbin/sendmail -ODeliveryMode=background
>>> -OQueueDirectory=/home/virtual/FILESYSTEMTEMPLATE/services/sendmail/mqueue.scanned
>>>

>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> I don't use Ensim, so I'm not sure what the differences might be, but
>> normally with the rpm (and install.sh), you will have an incoming
>> instance of sendmail listening on port 25 putting mail in an incoming
>> mail queue (mqueue.in) created by the install process. This mail is
>> then picked up by MailScanner, scanned, then placed in outgoing mail
>> queue, which is the default "original" mqueue.
>> So, your system must be setup to start 2 instances of sendmail.
>> Sendmail should start from the MailScanner init script. You might want
>> to take a look at the init script and your /var/log/maillog to see why
>> sendmail isn't starting. The defaults might be wrong for Ensim, so it
>> might be better to get some feedback from someone else on the list who
>> uses Ensim.
>>
>> Ken A.
>> Pacific.Net
Does Ensim have a list? They seem to use mailscanner in a non-standard way,
and you might have better luck there.
Otherwise, you will either have to make a support call, or hope that someone
on the list is an Ensim guru.
--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and