URIBL not as effective as it was

Michele Neylon:: Blacknight.ie michele at blacknight.ie
Fri Oct 13 00:58:17 IST 2006

Paul Welsh wrote:
> This time last year I could rely on the URIBL family of anti-spam measures
> within spamassassin to detect loads of spam very reliably.  Examples
> include:
>
> URIBL_SC_SURBL
> URIBL_AB_SURBL
> URIBL_WS_SURBL
> URIBL_SBL
> URIBL_OB_SURBL
> URIBL_WS_SURBL
>
> Seems to me these are far less effective than they were (they aren't showing
> up as much).  Can anyone confirm this from their own experince?

Short answer - no

I've found that no single solution will be effective on its own

Things to consider:

geoip - our stats show that certain countries are more likely to be
sources of spam - scoring based on that helps

mta level blocks - spamhaus-xbl is very effective

greylisting - works wonders

milter-ahead - very handy

image spam - there are sa plugins to help with this

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions