MS/SA Installed - How is it working?

Billy A. Pumphrey bpumphrey at woodmclaw.com
Thu Oct 12 20:44:52 IST 2006

The main goal is to stop viruses and spam.  Use mailwatch to monitor it
to see how many are getting blocked and are not getting blocked.  If it
is not satisfactory, use more rules and stuff.

> How to tell if SA running well?

Same answer as above.  Lint tests show if any errors are there.

> What maintenance is required?

You can let it sit there if you want.  Recommended to update what ever
you have on it.  Some things update automatically.  Update MailScanner
itself, spamassassin <--it has a auto update now too but not sure what
all it does, update your virus scanner programs themselves - virus
definitions update automatically

> When should I tweak MS?

All the time if you ask me, but you can leave it sat until the spam
starts getting through or you just want to change the behavior.

> When should I tweak SA?

To add more rules or updates

> What are essential SA tweaks?

Rules.  Decide whether to use pyzor, dcc -- more on the wiki

> How do I tweak SA?

Conf files.  There are read me for the installs somewhere, either in
MailScanner or Spamassassin read me's.

> How about a MS/SA crash course (tips) from the experts?

That is a lot of information.  Hopefully you will get some good
feedback.  I do not think that you will find the answer to all of those
questions as they are talked about all of the time.  I will try and
answer some of it specifically probably tomorrow but until then...

Make sure that you do some reading also instead of relying on everyone
to answer it all.

Make sure you go through the WIKI if you have not already:
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php

Stay subscribed to this list and you will learn a lot about those
questions.

If you have the book, it tells you a lot.

believed to be clean.