Bayse problem?

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 15:38:41 IST 2006

On 11/10/06, Rob Morin <rob at dido.ca> wrote:
> Just wondering why i would have this as an output....
>
> I am not really familiar with Bayes...
> can someone point me to some docs on how to set it up or make sure it
> works fine...
>
> MS version 4.53.3(installed with Julian's scripty thingy),  SA version
> 3.11 on Debian with Postfix
>
> Thanks
>
> here is an output
> peter:/opt/MailScanner/etc# sa-learn --dump magic
Hi Rob,

Since you are using postfix, chances are great that you are using a
non-priviledged user (likely postfix, perhaps with the group postfix)
to run MailScanner. So SpamAssassin (with bayes) isn't run as root,
but rather as that user.

If you make sure you have a proper bayes_path (detailing your actual
"active" bays db) and perhaps a proper bayes_filemode specification in
one of local.cf or mailscanner.cf (a.k.a. spam.assassin.prefs.conf ...
Think that symlink was present in version 4.53.3 too) in
/etc/mail/spamassassin, everything should work OK for any user with
read permission on the files (make sure the postfix user has that
explicitly, by making it the owner).

Test things by way of becoming the postfix user and running things...:
su - postfix -s /bin/bash
sa-learn --dump magic
spamassassin --lint -D 2>&1 | less -e
<or whatever....>

Look through the above to see that SA can bind/tie to the "database",
and that it seems to contain enough ham/spam.

--
-- Glenn