idea for next version

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Oct 10 22:06:40 IST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: <mailscanner at berger.nl>
To: <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 4:49 PM
Subject: idea for next version

> Well, I am happily using mailscanner for a while now and it still works
> great.
>
> So I was checking mailwatch this evening and I found out that the spam /
> ham percentage is 60% / 40% at daytime and 95% / 5% at night. This is
> quiet logical because at daytime everybody is working and at night (well
> here in europe) only spammers are working. This can be used for the
> spamfiltering. I think if it is possible to f.e. do, "spamscore * 1.2"
> between 11:00 pm and 7:00 am, it will hit more highscoring spam at night.
> Offcourse it will also hit ham, but as there is much less ham at night the
> possibility is less. Then, most off the overnight ham is mailinglist which
> are often whitelisted.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Roger

I tend to look at this in a different light. Spam is spam, and should be
caught by rules, etc regardless of the time it arrives. Ham is the same also
regardless of it's arrival time. A good set of rules should work fine any
time of the day. The percentages only indicate when people are sending mail,
so this is a useless figure for comparing day/night averages.

For instance, if the same message that came in at night were resent during
the day, how should the mail be treated? Different score and action?

Steve