Sophos/MailScanner

Lisa Wu lisa.wu at syntricity.com
Tue Oct 10 18:21:24 IST 2006

Hi,

My server:
Postfix 2.2.10
Dovecot 1.0 beta 8
Mailscanner 4.51.5
SpamAssassin 3.1.1

Once in a while the server will fail to download its updates from Sophos.
(The cause being that our T1 line went down). Then the mail log starts
posting MailScanner error messages every 10 seconds until a successful
update occurs:

Sep 6 14:06:50 mail MailScanner[30864]: None of the files matched by the
"Monitors For Sophos Updates" patterns exist!

Because of this error the queue starts placing all messages on hold.

My solution (probably the wrong way to do this) was to create a script that
runs every 10 minutes to manually release all held messages and flush the
queue.

I've searched Google, I've searched the MailScanner archives, and I've
contacted Sophos. I went over the different configurations options in
attempts to figure out a way of working around this behavior. Would I have
to temporarily comment out the Mailscanner portion of my Postfix config to
allow for normal internal mail flow? I know I risk the chance of viruses if
I do this, which is why I was hoping there's a way of using the old Sophos
IDES.

Any help regarding this problem would be helpful.

Thanks,

Lisa Wu