Missing /rules files from MailScanner installation fromports

Michael S. admin at thenamegame.com
Mon Oct 9 05:11:08 IST 2006

Thanks for all you replies JP.

-----Original Message-----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Koopmann,
Jan-Peter
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2006 8:33 AM
To: James L. Day; MailScanner discussion
Subject: RE: Missing /rules files from MailScanner installation fromports

On Saturday, October 07, 2006 5:16 PM James L. Day wrote:

> The FreeBSD MailScanner port puts .sample files all over the place,
> but I've never seen anything in the port to remove them...

Since they are listed in pkg-plist they will get removed during make
deinstall automatically.

> The attached Makefile patch I whipped up should make the port install
> and run with fewer errors...

Thanks for the patch. I will have a look at it and integrate it in the
next version if you don't mind. That is the sort of constructive
criticism that really helps everybody. Sincere thanks.

> And yes, after running "make install" you must run "make
> initial-config".  It would be nice if during a first-time install,
> the port would perform "initial-config" automatically.  It could be
> triggered by the lack of a "/usr/local/etc/MailScanner" directory or
> the "MailScanner.conf" file, etc.

Up to this point the commen consensus was that a fresh MailScanner
installation needs manual tweaking before you first fire up the system
(due to the complexity, several supported MTAs etc. etc.). Hence the
need for a manual "initial-config". If this consensus changes now I can
of course try to implement this step to be automatic. I would go for the
lack of "MailScanner.conf" file ${LOCALBASE}/etc/ though.

> If I were the creator of a cool application such as MailScanner and a
> port maintainer was causing public outcry,

Public outcry? Have I been missing something? Up to this message (which
was brought to my attention via e-mail) I cannot find any real
complaints. And even these complaints do not qualify as "public outcry"
at least not in my view of the world. That is very subjective of course.
Did I just not see the irony tags or are you guys possibly exaggerating
just a tiny bit?

> I'd be inclined to show him the light.

Meaning? Please. Enlighten me. How is Julian going to "show me the
light"?

These kinds of messages really are an interesting way of saying "Thank
you for creating and maintaining a free port for this system". I
developed this port strictly for my self and decided to share it with
the FreeBSD community. I do not expect thousands of "Thank you" mails. I
honestly do not expect to be "shown the light" either though.

Kind regards,
  JP