Missing /rules files from MailScanner installation fromports

Koopmann, Jan-Peter Jan-Peter.Koopmann at seceidos.de
Sun Oct 8 18:53:49 IST 2006

On Sunday, October 08, 2006 6:56 PM James L. Day wrote:

> I don't want to deinstall the whole port;

I misunderstood.

> I just don't want the thing
> to install two copies of everything.  I searched my system for
> .sample files and found a total of 633, of which 477 were put there
> by your port.  That leaves 156 for the other 176 ports installed on
> my system.
> Yes, I know, you didn't want to wipe out any customized files.
> However, a "make --remove-samples" or something to that effect would
> be nice.

It honestly never occured to me. This might be a problem though. If you
deinstall the samples and later deinstall the port it will try to
deinstall everything in pkg-plist again and will through
errors/warnings. The other possibility would be to not install the
.samples in the first place but creating a "make --create-samples" just
like "initial-config". To be honest: I am not sure how much work this
would be and when I have the time for it.

> playing with Linux/FreeBSD since 1994.  Yeah, like you, I've been
> busy doing
> other things...    ;-)

I hopefully did not suggest otherwise. :-)

> The part of your "pkg-message.in" file that talks about the need to
> do "make --initial-config" scrolls off the top of my screen during
> "make install" (and I have a big screen).  This is apparently due to
> the later addition of the "rcwarning.txt" file.  Perhaps this causes
> some folks to miss that step.  How about adding a pause after
> "@${CAT} ${PKGMESSAGE}"?

Yepp. Sounds like an idea. And I might get rid of rcwarning.txt now that
it has been in there for quite a while.

> I'm sure Julian is nicer than I am...   ;-)

I am not sure if he is nicer than you but he sure is very nice! *g*

> I never said I didn't appreciate the port.

Well. It came across like this or to be more exact Micheal did/does.

> Use the patch as you wish; just don't give me credit for it.  I can
> give criticism, but I can't take it..  ;-P

All the more reason to mention your support. :-)

Regards,
  JP