Missing /rules files from MailScanner installation fromports

James L. Day lday at txk.k12.ar.us
Sun Oct 8 17:55:45 IST 2006

Comments within..
> Since they are listed in pkg-plist they will get removed during make
> deinstall automatically.

I don't want to deinstall the whole port; I just don't want the thing to
install two copies of everything.  I searched my system for .sample
files and found a total of 633, of which 477 were put there by your
port.  That leaves 156 for the other 176 ports installed on my system.
Yes, I know, you didn't want to wipe out any customized files.  However,
a "make --remove-samples" or something to that effect would be nice.
> Thanks for the patch. I will have a look at it and integrate it in the
> next version if you don't mind. That is the sort of constructive
> criticism that really helps everybody. Sincere thanks.

That's actually the first patch I've ever created and I've been playing
with Linux/FreeBSD since 1994.  Yeah, like you, I've been busy doing
other things...    ;-)
> Up to this point the commen consensus was that a fresh MailScanner
> installation needs manual tweaking before you first fire up the system
> (due to the complexity, several supported MTAs etc. etc.). Hence the
> need for a manual "initial-config". If this consensus changes now I can
> of course try to implement this step to be automatic. I would go for the
> lack of "MailScanner.conf" file ${LOCALBASE}/etc/ though.

The part of your "pkg-message.in" file that talks about the need to do
"make --initial-config" scrolls off the top of my screen during "make
install" (and I have a big screen).  This is apparently due to the later
addition of the "rcwarning.txt" file.  Perhaps this causes some folks to
miss that step.  How about adding a pause after "@${CAT} ${PKGMESSAGE}"?
> Did I just not see the irony tags or are you guys possibly exaggerating
> just a tiny bit?

Exaggerate?  Me?  No way!    ;-)

> Meaning? Please. Enlighten me. How is Julian going to "show me the
> light"?

I'm sure Julian is nicer than I am...   ;-)
> These kinds of messages really are an interesting way of saying "Thank
> you for creating and maintaining a free port for this system".

I never said I didn't appreciate the port.  It's the bugs that are the
problem.  You know what they say, one "'Oh S#$%!" wipes out all your
attaboys...   ;-)

Use the patch as you wish; just don't give me credit for it.  I can give
criticism, but I can't take it..  ;-P

Thanks,
Lynn