Logwatch Update

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Wed Oct 4 20:03:17 IST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Tremaine" <mgt at stellarcore.net>
To: <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 2:41 PM
Subject: OT: Logwatch Update

> > I'm not sure if this is the cron variable you're speaking of or not, but
> > I don't understand where you are suggesting the line should be inserted.
> > This job is run from cron.daily on a RH system, using a Perl script that
> > sets a lot of variables within that script. There is a line to change
> > the logwatch variable "mailto", but that doesn't seem to work. The
> > script runs through all of the 4 default directories to set variables as
> > described in the man page.
> >
> > The big problem is that when I set the mailto variable in the script
> > using myname at mydomain.com, it indicates a bad variable due to the "@". I
> > tried using another form, along with a Perl string, and that doesn't
> > work either. I think I'll try the /etc/logwatch/conf files and see where
> > I go with that.
>
> This is obviously off topic so apologies but just to get it all down.
>
> First from logwatch 7+ the conf layout changed. There is no more
> /etc/log.d instead everything lives in /usr/share/logwatch with end user
> configs in /etc/logwatch. So for this specific question you should only be
> editing /etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf. And yes as Julian pointed out
> you need to escape the @ [ <- Perl Arrays ;0 ].
>
> For more information then you wanted the default conf are under
> /usr/share/logwatch/default.conf and there is another directory called
> dist.conf provided for distribution to make there own.
>
> dist.conf overrides default.conf
> /etc/logwatch/conf overrides dist.conf
>
> The rpm packages should never replace anything in /etc/logwatch/conf.
>
> Now back to our MailScanner program...
>
> -Mike
> --

Thanks Mike,

I was aware of the new directory structure, as mentioned above as the "4
default directories". Although I had tried the local
/etc/logwatch/conf/logwatch.conf file earlier, I had the format wrong, as I
now have it working with an entry in the local logwatch.conf file. I used
the following:

MailTo = campbell at cnpapers.com

with no escapements or quotation marks and it works fine.

Just thought I would let anyone else know.

Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Steve