Help needed with mailscanner

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Wed Oct 4 13:47:25 IST 2006

mail:/# spamassassin -V
SpamAssassin version 3.0.3
  running on Perl version 5.8.4

>>> a.peacock at chime.ucl.ac.uk 8:18:15 pm 4/10/2006 >>>
Hi Jon,

Jon Miller wrote:
> For number 2 you need to be more explicit in what you mean by
> updates. The whole system you describe is made up of many components,
> pulled together by Mailscanner.  Each of these can be updated, but
> the method for each may be different.  Do you want to upgrade th
> various components to newer versions?  Do you want to make sure the
> virus checkers are updating their virus libraries?  Do you want to
> update the spam detection rules of SpamAssassin?
>

> Thanks for the reply: for now until a new system is put together and
> tested I want to make sure that the spam detection rules of
> SpamAssassin are up to date.  I can do the Sophos updates. Currently
> not interested in upgrading the MailScanner program.

This largely depends on what version you are running, run this from the
command line:

spamassassin -V

Newer versions of SpamAssassin have a process called sa-update which
downloads updated versions of the core SpamAssassin rules.

There is also the add-on rules supplied by the SpamAssassin Rules
Emporium (SARE) people http://www.rulesemporium.com/.  These rules can
be updated using the RulesDuJour program.

You might also get better help if you ask your question on the
spamassasin-users list which is just as friendly and helpful as this
list.  http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/MailingLists

--
Anthony Peacock
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples