SOLVED: Re: mailscanner hangs on automatic restart {Scanned}

Henry Hollenberg hgh at rcwm.com
Wed Oct 4 11:42:14 IST 2006

SOLVED: razor-agent.log file in mailscanner incoming queue directory
/var/spool/postfix/hold was hanging mailscanner on automatic
restart every 14400 seconds. Synopsis top-posted for your convenience.
See reply to Drew as bottom-post below. hgh.

Drew Marshall wrote:

>>>No, changing the locktype shouldn't affect your situation, since you
>>>use Postfix...
>>>What might be happening would be if some stray non-queue file end up
>>>in the hold queue. Check that that isn't happening.
>>>Depending on what you find, you should be able to determine if that is
>>>it, and if so... what is responsible for putting it there:-).
>>>Might be razor still being a bit confused where the logfile should go
>>>(fix is to make sure it knows where too put it by way of the
>>>razor-agent.conf file setting... and making sure the postfix user can
>>>write where you say it should go), or perhaps the tnef expander
>>>placing a file wrong... (don't remember the fix for that... Search the
>>>archives, it has cropped up before... Perhaps switch to the internal
>>>one).
>>>
>>>HtH
>>>

>>Oh!, like the razor-agent file? :
>

> Yup, just like that. Never one to say told you so but... :-)
>
> Having said that, you have fixed the cause so delete that one (Oh I see
> from your next message you have. Nice to see you are continuing the
> tradition of Postfix users replying to themselves ;-) Keep up the good
> work :-> )
>
> You shuld now have few (No?) problems and a damn sight less Spam.
>
> Regards
>
> Drew

Talk to myself alot too, anyway, that seemed to fix it
as my mailbox has 21 general emails in it (non-mailing list
mails). Damn sight less than the 100+ I was waking up to.

3 were appropriately labeled as SPAM
17 slipped thru
1 valid email about a dead disk at work

Thanks for all the help!