[OT] Sendmail and access file question

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Mon Oct 2 19:55:02 IST 2006

Re:

> > I've researched this before in the past but I didn't really find
> > anything about it on the net or the bat book that says 'ay' or 'nay' on
> > the possibility.  Does anyone know if sendmail's access file can
> > override the default action based on "both" the mail from and rcpt to or
> > if a hack exists that allows such definitions?  For example I'm blocking
> > the domain of evil.remote.domain in the access file but
> > user at local.domain wants mail from spammer at evil.remote.domain but only
> > from spammer at evil.remote.domain.  In that example, I'm only aware that I
> > can either OK spammer at evil.remote.domain and thus allow it to email
> > everyone or I use the spamfriend rule on user at local.domain which means
> > he'll get spam from all remote.domains.
> >
> > I know I can define this kind of rule in Mailscanner but that also means
> > I have to accept all mail from spammer at evil.remote.domain which leads to
> > undeliverable bounces and more wasted traffic and cpu cycles.
> >
> > Thanks for any input.
> > -=B
> AFAIK the access file is all or nothing. You would have to allow all from the
> evil spammer, and then let MailScanner sort it out.
> Sounds like you need to lart a luser.

To operate on sender/recipient combinations, the "check_compat" ruleset
and FEATURE(compat_check) might give you routes to explore.

A slight caution:  This is one of the lesser known corners of sendmail.
It may require some work, perhaps even creating your own "LOCAL_RUELSETS"
entry etc.  The path to success may be more tortuous than for "access".
The journey may be more solitary, with fewer experienced guides to hand.

Hope that helps.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :