"Friends Only"

Greg Borders gborders at jlewiscooper.com
Mon Oct 2 14:17:07 IST 2006

Greetings list-mates,

The PHB's have discovered the ability of some mail systems that require
you to "validate" your address before they will accept messages, thus
avoiding SPAM.  Example, surgemail has a "Friends System"
http://netwinsite.com/surgemail/friends.htm, and eMoustTrap has a
package that sits between the MTA and MUA and does the authentication.

Yippie yay, now they want it too. -_-

Without wanting to spark any further heated debates on autoresponders,
I wanted to query the group and see if there was any slick bolt-ons for
sendmail / MailScanner / Mailwatch out there that might take advantage
of some whitelisting mechanisms we already have.  I can see potential of
a custom script within MailScanner that could send a subscribe/verify
message, and then auto-add to a whitelist upon receiving a proper
response from the human sender.

Any ideas folks?

Greg. Borders
Sys. Admin.
JLC Co.

--
This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the

believed to be clean.