Installing 4.56.7 on RHEL 2.1

Tom G. Christensen tgc at statsbiblioteket.dk
Mon Oct 2 11:03:13 IST 2006

I've just done a test upgrade from 4.41-3 to 4.56.7 on an RHEL 2.1 host.
There were several issues that I've described below.

Before installing the host had 4.41-3 with the perl module versions
installed that was distributed with that version of MailScanner + a few
updates/extras.
Here's MailScanner -v output from a production host with the same config:
---
This is Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 2.1 (Panama)
This is Perl version 5.006001 (5.6.1)

This is MailScanner version 4.41.3
Module versions are:
1.14    Archive::Zip
1.119   Convert::BinHex
1.03    Fcntl
2.6     File::Basename
2.03    File::Copy
2.00    FileHandle
1.0404  File::Path
0.12    File::Temp
1.29    HTML::Entities
3.45    HTML::Parser
2.30    HTML::TokeParser
1.20    IO
1.08    IO::File
1.121   IO::Pipe
1.50    Mail::Header
3.05    MIME::Base64
5.417   MIME::Decoder
5.417   MIME::Decoder::UU
5.417   MIME::Head
5.417   MIME::Parser
3.03    MIME::QuotedPrint
5.417   MIME::Tools
0.10    Net::CIDR
1.03    POSIX
1.72    Socket
0.01    Sys::Syslog
1.01    Time::localtime

Optional module versions are:
1.75    DB_File
missing Digest
1.01    Digest::HMAC
2.33    Digest::MD5
2.10    Digest::SHA1
missing Inline
missing Mail::ClamAV
2.64    Mail::SpamAssassin
missing Mail::SPF::Query
missing Net::CIDR::Lite
0.49    Net::DNS
missing Net::LDAP
missing Parse::RecDescent
missing SAVI
missing Sys::Hostname::Long
1.1604  Test::Harness
missing Test::Simple
missing Text::Balanced
1.35    URI
---

Since I'd be updating SA to 3.1.5 later I had built (with cpan2rpm) and
installed perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker 6.30, perl-Getopt-Long 2.35,
perl-Compress-Zlib 1.42, perl-IO-Zlib 1.04 and perl-Archive-Tar 1.30
before doing the MailScanner upgrade.

I ran ./install.sh to do the installation but several modules failed to
build and the tnef package could not be installed.
The modules that failed where:
perl-DBI
perl-File-Temp
perl-Sys-Syslog
perl-Archive-Zip
perl-DBD-SQLite

All of them except perl-DBD-SQLite fails because they need Test::More
to run their tests. I installed perl-Test-Simple 0.51 which I happened
to have around and this fixes it for perl-Archive-Zip and perl-File-Temp.
perl-DBI still fails because it also needs perl-Storable. Curiously the
distribution includes perl-Storable-2.15 but install.sh doesn't build
it. Rebuilding it by hand works fine. Perl-DBI still fails to complete
but what is even worse is that during the build it installs files
directly into /usr instead of the BuildRoot! (exactly why I never build
stuff as root under normal circumstances).
I instead used cpan2rpm to package perl-DBI 1.50 and that produces a
working src.rpm.
perl-Sys-Syslog fails the build stage and seems not to be perl 5.6.1
compatible out of the box (5.6.1 lacks const char * in the typemap which
Sys-Syslog wants). Adding a typemap file to the source with this alias
fixes the build. I ended up building a new src.rpm altogether using
cpan2rpm after I discovered that the build failed on RHEL 3 & 4 with
unpackaged file errors.
perl-DBD-SQLite fails because SQLite is not available. After installing
SQLite and the new perl-DBI it builds fine.

The tnef package requires glibc 2.3 and is thus incompatible with RHEL
2.1 which is based on glibc 2.2. I fixed up the specfile included in the
upstream source and rebuilt it to fix this.

I realize that I'm fighting a loosing battle since most people are
running newer versions of perl and newer Linux dists etc.
Just thought you should know that atleast the RPM version of MailScanner
seems to effectively require perl 5.8 and glibc 2.3 for easy installation.

With that said here's MailScanner 4.56.7 with SpamAssassin 3.1.5 running
on RHEL 2.1...

---
[root at eon MailScanner-4.56.7-1]# MailScanner -v
Running on
Linux eon 2.4.9-e.65 #1 Thu Aug 4 20:19:30 EDT 2005 i686 unknown
This is Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 2.1 (Panama)
This is Perl version 5.006001 (5.6.1)

This is MailScanner version 4.56.7
Module versions are:
1.16    Archive::Zip
1.119   Convert::BinHex
1.03    Fcntl
2.6     File::Basename
2.03    File::Copy
2.00    FileHandle
1.0404  File::Path
0.16    File::Temp
0.90    Filesys::Df
1.35    HTML::Entities
3.54    HTML::Parser
2.37    HTML::TokeParser
1.20    IO
1.08    IO::File
1.121   IO::Pipe
1.71    Mail::Header
3.05    MIME::Base64
5.420   MIME::Decoder
5.420   MIME::Decoder::UU
5.420   MIME::Head
5.420   MIME::Parser
3.03    MIME::QuotedPrint
5.420   MIME::Tools
0.10    Net::CIDR
1.03    POSIX
1.72    Socket
1.4     Sys::Hostname::Long
0.18    Sys::Syslog
1.86    Time::HiRes
1.01    Time::localtime

Optional module versions are:
0.17    Convert::TNEF
1.75    DB_File
1.12    DBD::SQLite
1.50    DBI
missing Digest
1.01    Digest::HMAC
2.33    Digest::MD5
2.10    Digest::SHA1
missing Inline
missing Mail::ClamAV
3.001005        Mail::SpamAssassin
missing Mail::SPF::Query
missing Net::CIDR::Lite
1.24    Net::IP
0.49    Net::DNS
missing Net::LDAP
missing Parse::RecDescent
missing SAVI
1.1604  Test::Harness
0.51    Test::Simple
missing Text::Balanced
1.35    URI
---

sa-update is not yet working since it'll need a newer libwww-perl (for
LWP::UserAgent) but otherwise it seems to be working well.

-tgc