OT: Spamcop BL - good or dangerous?

Matt Kettler mkettler at evi-inc.com
Wed Nov 29 19:45:48 GMT 2006

DAve wrote:

> I saw the announcement around the 15th.
>
> http://www.spamhaus.org/zen/
>
> "ZEN is the combination of all Spamhaus DNSBLs into one single powerful
> and comprehensive blocklist to make querying faster and simpler. It
> contains the SBL, the XBL and the new PBL blocklist."
>
> I don't recall seeing the PBL notice on http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl the
> day I turned it up. Using ZEN certainly raised my block rate over using
> only sbl-xbl, mrtg shows the improvement.

Interesting.. I use zen too, but I actually break it out by return code. Thus
far, I've not seen anything match the new PBL part of the zone.

Spamhaus SBL  (127.0.0.2)
   2190
Spamhaus XBL CBL (127.0.0.4)
  10143
Spamhaus XBL NJABL (127.0.0.5)
     81
SPAMHAUS XBL OTHER (127.0.0.6-8)
      0
SPAMHAUS PBL (127.0.0.11)
      0

And yes, the lists are applied in that order, so it is possible every PBL
listing was in SBL, or XBL. However, I think your increase in  hits since
switching to zen probably has more to do with changes in the existing zones.