OT: Spamcop BL - good or dangerous?

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Wed Nov 29 18:36:54 GMT 2006

On Wednesday November 29, 2006 at 11:17:38 (AM) Matt Kettler wrote:

> While this may be true, you're also missing the main point.
>
> SpamCop *does* list legitimate servers. To believe otherwise is delusional.

I concur with the basis of your analogy; however, that does not address
the fact that the OP is using an improperly configured mailserver. That
OP is just asking to be BL'd. I suspect that he does not possess a
static IP and is attempting to send via his ISP's network while
bypassing the ISP's servers. More than likely, the ISP has not blocked
port 25. A mail server like Postfix can be configured to check for that
and bounce the mail if it fails reverse DNS checking.

I know that SpamCop loves to block YaHoo and HotMail. Thank God! A large
portion of the SPAM I receive originates from those two sites. SORBS use
to block 'gmail' because it was using incorrect mail headers. I don't know
if they still are, and I don't care either since I block them at the
door.

--
Gerard