70k mqueue.in but load under 1 ??

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 19:21:38 GMT 2006

On 27/11/06, Furnish, Trever G <TGFurnish at herffjones.com> wrote:
> I'm experiencing very similar symptoms here.  My queue is very backed
> up, but my load average is much lower than normal, and I'm not noticing
> an obvious cause.  Iowait is similarly low.
>
> I've noticed that while mail is flowing in at a quick rate, the
> MailScanner processing is not keeping up at all.  With 10 children and
> batches of 30 messages each, I'm seeing batch processing taking 300
> seconds per batch and that only translates to 1 message processed per
> second.  Eyeballing the maillog I think I'm actually getting even less
> than that.  System normally processes much more quickly.
>
> I ran a batch using debugging for both MailScanner and SpamAssassin, but
> it doesn't seem to have any timing info in the lines so after the batch
> ran I can't tell how long each line took to appear.  Anyone know if
> there's a way to get timing info in the spamassassin debugging output?

Running the spamassassin --lint in MailWatch gives you timing info...
Perhaps not that useful with modern SA (3.1.7), but ... there it is.

Is this perhaps some digest (dcc?) or BL lookup (in MS?) bogging down?
First thing to look for would otherwise be to turn on the log timing
in MS.... If you haven't already.

> I'm thinking of trying to write a little perl script to accept the
> output of MailScanner in debugging mode and inject timestamps after each
> newline...
Could be useful... Please do:-).

Cheers
--